COVID and Child Custody
COVID’s impact on our business and daily lives is far from over. Over the last six months, when we have all experienced lockdowns and disruptions, we have had to find new ways to safely manage our work and personal lives. And unhappy couples who have been living in close quarters for what feels more like six years than six months are ready to make a change now.
In May, Family Lawyer Magazine Publisher Dan Couvrette wrote an article predicting a surge in business for family lawyers based on a noticeable jump in traffic on www.DivorceMag.com: our flagship website geared towards people considering, in the midst of, or who have recently gone through a divorce.
The article appeared in the Special COVID Issue of Family Lawyer Magazine, published in June. At that time, traffic had doubled between March 15 (when COVID became a household name) and May 16 (when we started to seriously wonder when/if our lives would return to normal).
That increase has continued ever since with another record month in traffic for www.DivorceMag.com in June, July, and August. This means family lawyers need to prepare to be found and hired as online searches turn into retaining legal representation.
To help you connect with potential clients, see “6 Secrets to Secure More Clients with Your Website” on page 18. Since searching online for products and services is now well entrenched, you need a great online presence now more than ever.
I have also heard anecdotally from various clients that child custody cases have increased since COVID – which is why this issue focuses on custody. For example:
- Written by the team who argued Monasky v. Taglieri from Ohio to the Supreme Court, “Defining Habitual Residence in the Hague Convention” is required reading for anyone handling international custody disputes (p. 6)
- Make sure your client appreciates both the potential upside and downside of seeking a GAL appointment (p. 10)
- Consider learning some basics about Jewish holidays to help with parenting time negotiations (p. 26)
- Learn how co-parenting apps can benefit you as well as your clients (p. 28)
- Review the requirements and expectations of military service when handling a custody case with a military parent (p. 34)
- Current best practices for family lawyers working in the child estrangement arena (p. 42)
- See survey results as well as what your colleagues had to say about child custody trends in 2020 (p. 48)
You can download the Fall 2020 issue of Family Lawyer Magazine here. While you’re here, we invite you to browse through more than a thousand articles and sign up to receive our bi-monthly eNewsletter.
If you have not read our Special COVID Issue, you can download it here. The articles are highly relevant for managing and growing your practice during and after the pandemic.
We hope you find this issue both engaging and useful. If you are interested in contributing thought-provoking content to Family Lawyer Magazine and FamilyLawyerMagazine.com, please email Editors@FamilyLawyerMagazine.com.
To advertise in future issues of Family Lawyer Magazine, please contact Dan Couvrette at 866.803.6667 x 124 or via email at DanC@DivorceMarketingGroup.com.
Download Previous Issues of Family Lawyer Magazine for Free
Click on a date (below) to download a previous issue of Family Lawyer Magazine:
Subscribe for Free
If you wish to receive Family Lawyer Magazine, please click here to subscribe for free:
Contribute Content to Family Lawyer Magazine
If you wish to contribute content to Family Lawyer Magazine, please visit our Content Submissions page for more information.
About the Publisher: Divorce Marketing Group
Family Lawyer Magazine is published by Divorce Marketing Group, the only marketing agency dedicated to helping family lawyers and other divorce professionals raise their profiles among their peers as well as the general public, and showcase their expertise and services to potential clients and referral sources. Our clients trust their marketing to us so that they can focus on their practices.
We offer one-stop marketing services to our clients, including: