About the Author

Diana Shepherd

Diana Shepherd (CDFA®) has over 30 years of experience as a marketing, branding, SEO, copywriting, editing, and publishing expert. As Family Lawyer Magazine, Divorce Magazine, and Divorce Marketing Group’s Content Director, she oversees all corporate content development and frequently creates SEO-friendly videos, podcasts, and copy for family law and financial firms. An award-winning editor, published author, and a nationally-recognized expert on divorce, remarriage, finance, and stepfamily issues, she is a frequent lecturer on the topics of divorce, finance, and marketing – both to local groups and national organizations. She has also been a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst® since 2006.


  1. 1

    William Kohn

    I live in Kentucky.
    I receive military disability and social security. I receive no other income.
    My wife and I are both 67. She receives her own social security plus the amount based on my previous earnings. She also has a retirement.

    We are getting a divorce. She left me. We have no children. I have the house and am paying all bills plus the mortgage. We are selling our house and have agreed to a 50/50 split.

    The judge ordered me to pay her temporary support in the amount of $800 per month. My attorney said he could make the support permanent. I thought support could not be taken from either income?

    This happened on Sept. 17th, 2019.

    If you charge for a reply, please do not reply. Thank you.

  2. 2


    We live in Texas which is a community property state. My wife owns a house in Mexico City that she inherited from her mother. Prior to the estate transferring the house to her, we made about $20K in improvements — did that $20K transform the house from marital property to community property ??

    And she has about $50K in Social Security benefits that are in a separate account that is traceable to only Social Security payments — am I correct that is therefore marital property.

    Thank you


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© 2020 Family Lawyer Magazine & Segue Esprit Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Web Accessibility | Reproduction in whole or in part without their written permission is prohibited.

Skip to content