Scott Clasen, the Director of Marketing at TimeSolv, shares 7 best practices plus the power and impact of a time and billing software on a family law firm’s bottom line.
Q: What are some of the best practices on time tracking?
There are seven different methods we recommend family law firms use to increase their billable time – and none of them include working more hours! This is about using the right tools combined with the right process to capture more billable time through efficiencies. Here are the seven best practices we recommend:
- Create a documented time tracking policy. Make sure the entire firm knows the expectations.
- Establish a firewall between time entry and invoicing. Creating invoices is not the time to be making or approving time entries.
- Enter all time by the end of the day. This should be the keystone of your time tracking policy.
- Capture all the time, not just billable time. This is the secret sauce to see how efficient your firm is. If a billable person is only billing 20% of a 40-hour week, what are they doing with the rest? Find out.
- Review missing time once a week. The billing administrator should check every Monday to see if time is missing.
- Closeout time entries every week. This means that your timekeepers cannot make entries from past weeks or months.
- Commission incentives. If your firm doesn’t have a commission structure, you should consider it; this will motivate timekeepers to make sure to track all time.
Q: Of all the proven methods to increase billable time, which one is most important?
By far the most important is to create a documented time policy. All the other methods I suggested should be part of that policy. A firm doesn’t have to incorporate all these tips at once – but the first step is to create a policy.
Q: How can family lawyers increase their billable time by using Timesolv?
TimeSolv makes creating time entries extremely easy using our web browser, mobile app, or TimeSync widget that allows you to make time entries even when offline.
Q: Tell us some of the results your customers have experienced after adopting these best practices?
Our customers report that they save, on average, 8+ hours a week in their billing process each month – which means they’ve gained at least one full day in billable time!
Q: Is a time and billing software like this beneficial to a solo practitioner or a small law firm?
TimeSolv was made with the solo or small firm in mind. We give attorneys exactly the right tools they need to quickly and easily track their time, create invoices and record payments. We’ve been helping small firms for 20 years as our tools and best practices have spread to over 20 countries around the world.
Scott Clasen oversees all aspects of TimeSolv’s marketing efforts. With 20+ years of marketing experience, he has seen the full transition to the digital age. www.timesolv.com
– Sponsored Content –
The Right Legal Billing Software Makes all the Difference
Using outdated billing options or inefficient software can potentially lead you down the dangerous road of inaccurate bills, dissatisfied clients, and serious complaints.